Saturday 10 May 2014

My Tinderella story...

This story begins with a new phone application called Tinder. I thought at first that the app was very "straight" oriented when my housemates showed it to me but, I still opened an account to try it. I believe that you always need to be open to exploring new ways of finding love but, I didn't really enjoy the way of swiping profiles right and left. Choosing a love partner should not be based on a first look impression so, after a few right and left swaps and got bored and disenchanted.

A few days later, while I was struggling with a complicated statistical analysis for work, I got a notification from the app on my phone that I had received a message from a girl called Natasha. Sexy name I thought so, I opened her message:

- Hello Beautiful...

I like receiving compliments from an online strangers, but I replied with my "ready-made" usual online dating answer that aims to move the conversation to the offline face-to-face territory:

- Do you live in Brighton? Do you want to go for coffee sometime?

She answered that she did live in Brighton and that she rather skip the coffee and invited me to her house straight away...

I was a bit shocked but turned on at the same time.... to much intellectual work that morning and I needed a break...  But... Going into a stranger house in the middle of the day? It was only 12 and I probably should be thinking about getting some lunch.

She insisted:

- I've got an hour to kill, I think that you should stop questioning yourself and come and have an adventure. It will make a hell of a story... (exact message... but with some punctuation and grammar corrected)

WOW!!!.... That was direct! Is she a psycho....??? I should close the app, delete her conversation and block her right now... But... if I started writing this post is because I didn't...

She sends me a third message:

- We are young. We will die one day. I want to have interesting stories in mine...

Hell yeah! She is right. I was actually having an existentialist crisis that week (or maybe that month.... or maybe I been having it this whole year.....???) and I was feeling adventurous so, I accepted her invitation.

Google maps indicated that her house was only 12 minutes away. I got ready and made my way.

But... What I am doing??? I am going crazy???? Going into a stranger's house in the middle of the day when I have a complicated statistical analysis to finish.... and I also have to do my groceries... and do my laundry... and..... when I realized, I was ringing her doorbell.

She opened a sateen rope and she was already in her underwear. She was holding two glasses of a sparkling alcoholic beverage... Oh WOW!!! I was not expecting that when I woke up this morning...

Well, I have to be honest here and say that despite the exciting situation, the environment was not as exotic and luxurious as you might be imagining right now... The rope was likely to be from H&M. The glasses were plastic cheap glasses from a £1 shop and, the sparkling thing did not even qualified to be called wine...  But... What the hell... She was a very sexy stranger in her underwear... and she was inviting me in...

I took the glass and downed it pretty fast and then.... well, there was not much talking after that... (I leave the following hour open to your imagination...)

The pillow talk started with her telling me that she was waiting for a friend to come with a van to help her move to another house on the other side of town. She said that she had a pretty busy day ahead of packing and moving. I suddenly realized that the entire house was packed in boxes and only the bed seem to have been left untouched by the moving operation.

Well, I had my statistical analysis waiting for me at home, and my food shopping.... and, my laundry... and, my house chores... So, I cut short the pillow talk and made the first move to dress again.

For whatever strange reason, when I was at her place the thought of asking her if she was going to the gym kept prompting into my head. However, I never made the question as I didn't want to sound like a stalker trying to find out her weekly routines.

Before I left, she told me that she studied at the same university and department that I am currently working... and that she liked my Chemical Romance which was playing on the radio.... (as opposed to the Music-Nazi girl that declared her deepest hate for them on our first and only date).

We exchanged phone numbers, but we didn't contact each other again. However, how small is Brighton that I bumped into her that following Tuesday. Of course, she was at my usual body balance Tuesday class. I guess that my unconscious mind recognized her from the gym and kept prompting the question of whether she was going to the gym into my mind as a conversational cue or some sort of strange mind connection.

Now, I bump into her from time to time at the gym but we barely talk. For all I know she might have a boyfriend (since it says is bi in her Tinder profile....) or a girlfriend.... or she just wanted to experiment... or she might just invite strangers into an empty house every week... All I know is that at least I collected a very interesting experience... However, it would never have happened without the influence of another online date that I met before her (a story that I had actually not been able to write yet... but it will come soon).

Fuck Tinder, I'm single.
This was the story of my Tinderella... I had it once so, I don't think that I will ever go to a stranger's house again in the middle of the day. I've been there, I've done that and, I don't need a T-shirt to remember the experience!


Overall, it was an exciting experience, but the learning was that it is easy to find sex from a dating application where you swipe right and left based on looks but finding romance is a bit more difficult... and I want romance... Can Tinder deliver romance?






No comments:

Post a Comment